Reading Group Questions
Into the World is a story with many themes and ideas perfect for a book club. It deals with guilt, loss, the search for independence, and the power of stepping into the unknown. Here are some questions for a reading group discussion.
- How important is a sense of wonder and discovery in this book? Did you find something new and unknown about people, places or the world?
- Marie-Louise does not think herself brave. Do you think she is?
- The sea, weather, and nature are strong elements to be overcome and to be renewed by in this novel. Do you agree?
- How is adventure – the pushing of physical and emotional limits – important to Marie-Louise’s transformation?
- How important is travel? Does seeing how other cultures organise themselves challenge her understanding of the world?
- Marie-Louise carries her guilt at leaving her child throughout. In her position, would you have made the same choice?
- Marie-Louise has a belief that she has angered God and deserves to be punished. How does her journey change this belief?
- Do you think these stories about women who have challenged social conventions need to be told?
Spread the love